Friday, March 18, 2011

I'm A Charity Case!

My first days back in Georgia were a bit emotional. I went to Emory Hospital in Atlanta on Tuesday where I had an appointment with Dr. Rizzo who had been referred to me by a friend's father. The first news I received was that my insurance would not be accepted because my insurance company is outside of the USA. I cried. Here I was having gone back and forth with my insurance company for days trying to get approval to return to the States for treatment to be faced with the news that my insurance was no good. I would have to pay all expenses out of pocket and wait for them to be reimbursed. That's fine when we're talking one or two appointments but when we're talking surgeries and MRI's and radiation, not at all possible.

I went ahead and paid out of pocket for the appointment and saw the doctor. I really like her. She was very kind and broke everything down into simple terms. After discussing the financial situation with her, she stepped out to speak to her assistant. A few minutes later, her assistant returned and said that Dr. Rizzo had agreed to take me on as a charity case and, as long as all was approved by Emory Hospital, she would provide my treatment for free! Needless to say, i was thrilled with this news.

It took a couple of days to process my paperwork but I got a call this afternoon and I have been approved as a charity case! Tomorrow I hope to connect with Dr. Rizzo's assistant and get my MRI scheduled as well as the other testing she wants to do.

Though I am only a few weeks into this journey through cancer, I am already so aware of God's hand over me. He has already shown Himself so faithful as He has provided me with a flight home, free treatment, trusted friends in the medical field to offer their professional input, and countless friends and family all over the world praying for and encouraging me. I know there will be hard days ahead but I am choosing to trust in God's faithfulness and believe that He will see me through all that lies ahead. And that He will get me back to my boys in Mozambique ASAP!

8 comments:

erin said...

I'm praying for you. Keep the updates and all of God's provisions coming. He is so going to bless His amazing daughter in the midst of this! Embrace joy and Him!

ancient one said...

GOD is so good!!

Lauren said...

Sarah - I don't know you other than reading your blog, but I wanted to tell you that you amaze me. Your strong faith is encouraging and you are definitely living your life in such a way that ministers to others. I am praying for you. Thank you!! Lauren

Birth to Blessing said...

That is an amazing story already. I love Jesus and the way that He loves you!

Skoots1moM said...

so glad to hear your good news and how He is providing for you. Continue talking to Him throughout your entire journey; He will never leave you.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and moving Sarah. see you soon sweet one. --Dominique

Theresa said...

God is so good and he has surely made himself known to you. I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with you on here. Best wishes for your future treatment and tell your mom I said hello!

Tammy Ma said...

Hey Sarah, I somehow missed all of these updates til just now. The lat 3 weeks much have been a roller coaster of emotions. I'm so so sorry you are having to deal with this. I love the posture of your heart, and I want to tell you that "The Lord is pleased with you." I sense His pleasure over you in a strong way. My biggest prayer for you in this season, is that you would KNOW the depth of His Love, His heart, and His presence in ways you've never known. I am praying for absolute healing!! I will get my kids praying too! Blessings from India!!